Regional Observer Programme
- The objectives of the Commission ROP shall be to collect verified catch data, other scientific data, and additional information related to the fishery from the Convention Area and to monitor the implementation of the Conservation and Management Measures adopted by the Commission.
- The Regional Observer Programme (ROP) is based on the use of existing regional, sub-regional and national observer programmes already in place amongst many of its members. A ‘Conservation and Management Measure for the Regional Observer Programme (CMM 2007-01) entered into force on 15 February 2008, and provides the basis of the rules and development of the Commission ROP.
- To be part of the WCPFC ROP a programme requires to be authorised and an audit will be carried out by the Secretariat to ensure the programme is in compliance of the Commission Minimum Standards for observer programmes. All providers are fully audited before full authorisation to take part in the ROP is granted. Contact email@example.com for more details.
- Before boarding a vessel a Vessel Safety Check (VSC) should be carried out. The Commission has developed a guideline and format for a (VSC). If member countries observer programmes have their own formats they should continue to use these formats. However the WCPFC VSC format could be adopted by member countries to suit observer programmes that currently do not have a VSC format in place.
- The WCPFC have developed basic standards for the formation and operation of observer programmes that wish to be part of the Regional Observer Programme (ROP).
- The Secretariat has developed a set of forms for ROP Observers carrying out observations on carriers transhipping fish from long liners on the high seas. These three forms FC-1 FC-2 & FC-3 are developed as a guide and can be used as they are presented, or can be changed to suit your particular observer programme needs.
- Minimum data fields that ROP observers need to collect on long liners and purse seiners including FAD information are included below; The format of collection of these data fields is up to the observer providers, however a useful guide for a format are the SPC/FFA harmonised format, which is used by a number of programmes; this is available on the SPC Website under their Oceanic Fisheries Programme.
- The Secretariat has prepared a set of Guidelines for Regional Observer Programme - May 2018 (670.19 KB)
- Conservation and Management Measure for the Regional Observer Programme (57.95 KB)
- 2018 - Providers & Coordinators for ROP Observers (271.67 KB)
- WCPFC ROP Vessel Safety Check Form (146.06 KB)
- WCPFC Regional Observer Programme Standards & ROP Guidelines up dated 2016 (896.79 KB)
- Form FC1 - Fish Carrier General Description (62.95 KB) Form FC2 - Observer At Sea Transshipment Report (76.81 KB) Form FC3 - Catch Destination Form (97.4 KB)
- Table of ROP minimum standard data fields 2016 (954.05 KB)
- Observer Guide to WCPFC CMMs - Booklet 2018 (18.4 MB)
Page Updated 17 May, 2018